2426 Pennsylvania Avenue was built in 1912 as the Schanze Theater before it served as a restaurant in the 1940s and 1960s. The Arch Club, whose name comes from its original location on Arch Street, was founded as part of the Victorian-era Reformist Movement that aimed to encourage working class men to better themselves through lectures and other intellectual recreation. Founded in 1905, the club is the second oldest Black social club in the nation, made a necessity by the repressive racial environment of Baltimore in the early 20th century. As time has passed, the club, like many other reformist clubs, grew into a public house and event hall. The event hall, which was acquired by the club in 1972, underwent an extensive facade renovation in 2013, revitalizing the bright arched entrance.