Clipper Mill is a cluster of historically preserved mill buildings dating back to the early 1800s. In 1830, the original flour mill was converted to produce cotton cloth and production necessitated several new buildings along the Jones Falls. In 1843, the complex of mill buildings expanded with the opening of Poole & Hunt Foundry and Machine Works. As one of the largest machine shops in the country, it cast the 36 inch columns and brackets that support the dome of the U.S. Capitol building. The site continued operation as a variety of smaller machine shops until the 1970s and then as artist studios and light industrial firms. In 1995, an eight alarm fire destroyed and damaged a number of the mill buildings. The development firm Stuever Bros. Eccles & Rouse renovated the site while preserving much of the history of the mill buildings. Now known as Clipper Mill, the complex is a thriving mixture of residences, offices, shops, restaurants and artists. Come visit the beautiful complex of buildings and an art exhibit by Baltimore artist Charlie Barton. Peek inside the MCA Architecture offices and studio!
Tours of the building and art exhibit featuring art created by Charlie Barton