Schuler School of Fine Arts7 E Lafayette Ave, Baltimore, MD 21202 www.schulerschool.com
- Partially Accessible
Stepping into Schuler School of Fine Arts is like stepping inside a nineteenth century French atelier. Hans Schuler commissioned Gordon Beecher to build his private sculpture studio in 1906. Schuler was a prominent early-twentieth century sculptor, who created many sculptures around Baltimore, and served as president of Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) for more than 25 years. The house addition was added onto the studio building in 1912. The buildings became the Schuler School of Fine Arts in 1959, founded by his son Hans and daughter-in-law Ann Didusch Schuler. The first floor is divided into two main rooms, including the two-story sculpture studio, with a substantial northern skylight that provides the perfect lighting for classes. Come see Schuler’s sketches and student artwork on display, but please be considerate of noise as classes will be in session!